So you’ve decided you want to start a farm shop. Perhaps you’ve even read our last blog post which helped you identify your opportunity for a retail diversification?
But what licensing and regulation must be in place before you can begin trading? Read our top 10 below now!
Contact us today for a no obligation initial consultation to discuss how we can help you start a farm shop of your own.
- It is likely you will require various surveys for a planning application. Most notable surveys include:
- Environmental surveys
- Flood risk assessments
- Transport assessments
2. Planning Permission
- It is very likely planning permission will be required to convert a building or erect your farm shop
- Permitted development rights could be used if your holding is 5 hectares or more converting an existing building, subject to details and specification
- Planning permission may also be required for roadside signage
3. Building Control Approval
- Check with your local authorities building control department to ensure any requirements have been met
4. General Retail Licences
- Registration or approval of the premises with the local authority
- Labelling requirements
5. Food Hygiene and Safety
- Registration with local authorities environmental safety department
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- The sale of raw meats and dairy attracts further food hygiene legislation to comply with
6. Health and Safety
- The premises must comply with health and safety legislation
- Health and safety reviews
7. Fire Safety
- The premises must comply with fire safety legislation
- Public liability
- Premises and goods
- Goods in transit
9. Employment Legislation
- Employers liability
- Terms of employment such as holiday, redundancies, dismissals etc
10. Food Waste Disposal
- Disposal through licenced contractors
Other Important Requirements
- Organic produce regulations
- Farm tenancy agreement implications (if this applies)
Organising and applying for these licences and certification takes time and can be frustrating.
Unsure on any of the 10 points above? Contact us today for a no obligation consultation, to see how we can help you achieve your aspirations of a farm retail business.
Don’t think a farm shop is the right diversification for you and your business? Use our free diversification discovery assistant. Simply fill out the short questionnaire and receive a free review of what diversifications will suit you and your business.